Chapter 4 of?The Gospel at Work?(TGaW) explores multiple biblical perspectives with six motivations/purposes suggested:
- Work to love God: This is in obedience to loving God with all our heart, soul and mind (Matt 22:37, Ephesians 6:5-7). ?Whole-hearted work should be a mark of the follower of Jesus.
- Work to love others: This is obedience to the greatest commandment ?(Matthew 22:39). ?’God provides for our needs through the work he call us to do in and for the good of society… When we give our time and ability to making and improving society, we are doing what God intended created human beings to do, even if the societies we create and sustain are not themselves eternal.’
- Work to reflect God’s character:?Being made in God’s image, we are to work as God works – creating new products,bringing order out of chaos, mending brokenness (Genesis 1:2, 28, 2:15). We also reflect God’s character by the way we exercise and respond to authority – ‘Don’t communicate to people around you as spirit of rebellion, a sense that authority is somehow?illegitimate?or burdensome, a necessary evil. ?Let them know by your actions that you consider good authority a blessing from God and that you understand all?authority?to be derived from him.’?
- ?Work for money: No need to apologise – we work so we can eat (2?Thess 3:10; Proverbs 12:11; Ephesians 4:28, 1 Thess 4:11)! ?‘If God has called you to do your job simply to provided for your own needs and the needs of your family and to have opportunities to bless others and support the work of the church, then he has given you a valuable blessing and called you to do a very good thing.’
- Work for enjoyment:?In his kindness, God allows us to enjoy the fruits of our labours (Deut 8:18. Ecc 5:18-19, 1 Timothy 6:17) ?’True, our work can be “toilsome’, there is no doubt about that! Yet at the same time, God also graciously uses our work to bring us satisfaction and enjoyment.’?
- Work to adorn the gospel of Jesus Christ😕‘When we work in ways that reflect God’s loving authority, creativity, excellence, and honor, our lives back up and support the gospel we confess with our lips?… Be the aroma of Christ in the workplace. Adorn the gospel; don’t sabotage it!’?(Titus 2:9-10)
And finally, work in faith trusting God – work hard and work smart but trust God for the ultimate outcome of your work (Proverbs 19:21) wherever he has placed you. ?
?Murray Wright (017/11/2014)