This is Our City is a project developed by Christianity Today.?
A new generation of Christians believes God calls them to seek shalom in their cities. These Christians are using their gifts and energies in all sectors of public life?commerce, government, technology, the arts, media, and education?to bring systemic renewal to the cultural “upstream” and to bless their neighbors in the process. No longer on the sidelines of influence, emboldened by the belief that Jesus loves cities, they model a distinctly evangelical civic engagement for the 21st century. [The project] seeks to spotlight in reporting, essays, and documentary video how these Christians are responding to their cities’ particular challenges with excellence, biblical faith, and hope. The six cities we are profiling differ dramatically from one another in size, economic climate, ethnic and racial composition, and in their history of Christian presence, leadership or abdication, at crucial moments. But they all have stories worth telling. Wherever we live, we can learn something from these cities about faithfulness to our own place.
You can read the background story here [includes 10 best articles/videos in the series] and here are some of the video stories about how people view their work:
- Yes, I’m a mechanic: ?“If you can’t find joy eight hours a day, there’s something wrong.”
- Furniture fit for the Kingdom: “… building beautiful furniture is not simply a steady job but a sacrament unto God.”
- Forging the future with the tip of a pen: “… one of 11 master penmen in the world, uses ink to link the past and future.”
- A local pastor turns public school champion:?? “… as a believer, that’s just a part of our DNA … to serve our community.? And I’m blessed that the community I live in is where I’m serving and the place where I’ve lived all my life.
- Business as God meant it to be: “God really awakened me to understanding that the Gospel going forth in the world was a much broader restoration of communities, of cities, of economic systems.”
Check out the main site for more excellent articles and videos by some leading writes (e.g. Andy Crouch, Amy Sherman)