Tim Keller gives a biblical perspective of risk at the EI Forum in 2013.? He is speaking at a conference for entrepreneurs and, while risk is not specifically mentioned in the Bible, he argues that two related and key concepts are:
- Fear (Psalm 3:1-6): Relocate your identity in God’s glory to deal with fear.? When you do, there will be no risk to your real assets, the things that matter.
- Control (James 4:13-17): Humble yourself before God and learn to trust in God’s providence – we live in a culture that tells us we can control things but the Bible tells us cannot.
Three messages for Christians:
- Humble yourself before God and see that you are not in control
- Though you are in the hands of God, what you do matters: We are not fatalistic. We are not too passive or too scared (see Paul’s actions in Acts 27 when faced with shipwreck!)
- The One who is in control died for you!
?Murray Wright – 10 April 2014