Edmund Chan is coming to speak at the Queensland Baptist’s annual convention in April 2015. ?Great to see he is already well tuned into the missional opportunities in the marketplace as outlined in this article.
In summary, Chan identifies three?paradigm shifts that need to take place for the marketplace movement to flourish:
1. ?From marketplace to mission -??Where do the MAJORITY of men and women spend the MAJORITY of their time interacting with the MAJORITY of the lost world?” At church? NO. In the neighbourhood? No. It is in the workplace. It is the place where most Christians spend most of their time.??
Three erroneous and damaging dichotomies are contribute to misunderstanding of mission:
- The sacred secular divide ?(We do not work to minister; rather, work is ministry)
- The clergy-laity dichotomy?
- The church work/work of the church dichotomy (The work of the Kingdom is more than just ‘church work’ … there needs to be a radical re-orientation from marketplace to mission)
2. ?From tedium to transformation – to be a good witness at work requires transformational workers who:
- Develop workplace competence
- Establish integrity at work
- Cultivate keenness in time management
- Work on conflict resolution
- Cope with work-related stress with a godly disposition
3. ?From compromise to calling?– work is a matter of calling rather than a compromise, ‘…God has placed you there [in the workplace] to make a difference.’
Murray Wright – 10 November 2014
You must be logged in to post a comment.